Nearly 30 years after the fatal shooting of rapper Tupac Shakur in Las Vegas, the long-awaited murder trial of Duane “Keffe D” Davis has begun, with prosecutors and the defence presenting sharply different versions of what happened on the night of September 7, 1996.
Davis, a former South Side Compton Crips gang leader, is accused of helping orchestrate the drive-by shooting that killed Shakur. He has pleaded not guilty and is not accused of being the person who fired the fatal shots. Prosecutors allege that he helped plan the attack and provided the weapon used in the shooting.
During opening statements in a Las Vegas courtroom on Monday, prosecutors argued that Davis played a central role in the killing and that his own statements over the years provide important evidence against him.
Prosecutor Binu Palal told jurors that Davis had repeatedly spoken about the shooting, including during interviews with investigators and in his 2019 memoir, Compton Street Legend. Prosecutors allege that Davis supplied the gun and helped organize the attack after Shakur and members of his entourage assaulted Davis’ nephew, Orlando “Baby Lane” Anderson, at the MGM Grand earlier that evening.
According to prosecutors, Shakur and Death Row Records co-founder Marion “Suge” Knight were travelling in a black BMW when another vehicle pulled alongside them and opened fire. Shakur was struck multiple times and died six days later from his injuries.
The prosecution’s case relies heavily on Davis’ past accounts of the shooting. Prosecutors have pointed to interviews from 2008 and 2009, as well as his memoir, as evidence that he knew details about the attack and played a role in its planning.
The defence, however, has challenged the reliability of those statements and accused investigators of treating Davis’ claims as established facts without adequately verifying them.
Davis’ attorney, Michael Sanft, told jurors that the prosecution was presenting its interpretation of events as fact when, in the defence’s view, the evidence amounts to fiction. The defence has also raised questions about missing records from the original investigation and alleged weaknesses in police work surrounding the case.
The trial is expected to feature testimony from dozens of witnesses as prosecutors attempt to establish Davis’ alleged role in the killing. A retired Las Vegas police officer was among the first witnesses to testify, recounting events surrounding the traffic stop involving Shakur and Knight shortly before the shooting.
Davis is the only person to face criminal charges in connection with Shakur’s killing. The case remained unsolved for decades before investigators renewed their efforts and arrested Davis in 2023.
The trial has attracted widespread attention because of Shakur’s enduring influence on music and popular culture. His death at the age of 25 became one of hip-hop’s most enduring mysteries, with numerous theories surrounding who was responsible for the shooting.
As testimony continues, jurors will have to assess competing accounts, documentary evidence and Davis’ own statements to determine whether prosecutors have proved their case beyond a reasonable doubt.
The trial is expected to last several weeks and could finally provide a legal resolution to one of the most closely watched unsolved killings in music history.
Swifteradio.com