Three young people have been arrested following a series of random shootings across Austin that left four people injured over the weekend, according to local authorities.
Police said at least 10 shootings and robberies occurred between Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning, prompting a large shelter-in-place order across parts of southern Austin as officers searched for the suspects.
Austin Police Chief Lisa Davis said the suspects drove around the city in stolen vehicles while allegedly firing at apartment complexes, homes and even two fire stations.
Two boys, ages 15 and 17, were first taken into custody after police stopped a stolen vehicle and the suspects attempted to flee on foot.
Authorities later detained a third juvenile suspect at a gas station in Manor, located northeast of Austin. Police did not release the suspect’s age or identity.
Officials said at least four victims were hospitalized, including one person who suffered critical injuries.
Investigators also revealed that the firearm allegedly used in the shootings had previously been stolen by the 15-year-old suspect, while the 17-year-old was reportedly wanted in connection with another firearm theft case.
According to police, the suspects stole at least four vehicles during the crime spree.
Austin Mayor Kirk Watson said authorities have not identified a clear motive behind the attacks.
“These actions appear to be random,” Watson said.
After two suspects were captured, city officials lifted the shelter-in-place order that had affected residents across a large section of southern Austin.
The investigation remains ongoing.
